Mazes of The Mind

Monday, May 4, 2009

I am Nature and Dreams



I began my presentation with my poem that I wrote. The poem I wrote explains my different emotions and the varying sides of my personality. I used mostly a combination of subtle and actual paintings for my images because I hoped they would illustrate my metaphors' depth, of meaning. I hope this makes people think about the essence of the painting as well as my poem. But I did use one obvious picture for a watermelon. Showing the real essence of a watermelon is very hard and besides this was to illustrate the abstract idea of a shimmering emerald and a baby's laugh.

I chose the poem Dreams, By Langston Hughes because although the poem is short, I enjoyed depth and bigger ideas within it. I like the metaphor "Life is a broken winged bird, that can not fly" Langston Hughes used to describe lost dreams. It shows how life is meaningless without dreams. I especially like the picture of a broken wing I used because it was a very unusual picture and it gave the message well.

4 Comments:

Blogger woodward said...

Spectacular work. You did a great job of combining images, sound, music, and a very soothing voice to match your tone.

A few suggestions for clarification -- I would change your blog post title or add a bit of text -- to say this is an ORIGINAL poem inspired by Langston Hughes. Your title is slightly misleading, as you are not reading Hughes' poem, but created your own using that as inspiration.

Secondly, I would be careful of your image choices to avoid being too "didactic" (as they would like to say in literature). Your image choices of art pieces work very well, but when you are talking about a watermelon or a tree -- try to show pictures of the emotions or the feelings that match that -- rather than just of a watermelon.

As savy consumers of video, we don't want to see pictures exactly of what we are hearing -- we want to be able to draw our own interpretations and you, as an author and publisher, want to push people to interact with your work more.

Doing this by looking for images that capture the emotion or the feeling rather than just the concrete object can be very helpful, but not always easier.

I really enjoyed your work! Great job!

May 5, 2009 at 5:25 PM  
Blogger Rob Whiting said...

What a moving piece of work Nahal! I am so impressed that you have such a strong sense of yourself and can find the words and images to express this!
Your choice of background music was captivating and your chosen images arresting and soothing at the same time. I REALLY liked your image OF the softness of a baby's laugh.
MR Whiting

May 5, 2009 at 9:36 PM  
Blogger parisa said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

May 11, 2009 at 5:37 AM  
Blogger parisa said...

welldone Nahal, it was a great job. I enjoy reading ur blog, specially the poem:-)

May 11, 2009 at 5:41 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home